If you’re missing one or more teeth, your dentist may suggest a couple of different solutions, including dental implants in Canton. Although traditional options have been a trusted way to offer patients new teeth, they have their downfalls.
Dental implants offer practically unlimited benefits for the right candidates. Understanding these benefits can help you make an educated decision and get back your bright smile full of healthy teeth. But first, you’re probably wondering whether you’re a good candidate for dental implants or not. Learn more about the perfect implant patient in this week’s blog post.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is a dental restoration that replicates both parts of a missing tooth—the tooth root below the gum line and crown above the gum line. The implant is an artificial tooth root that’s placed into your jaw. Once it’s placed into the jawbone, it can support the dental prosthetic of your choice to replace the aesthetic part of your smile.
Are you the ideal candidate for dental implants?
Your dentist will discuss what makes a great dental implant patient, usually including these factors:
- A great candidate for dental implants will have firm, pink strong gums. The gums are the foundation to a great smile and need to be in a healthy condition to support your implant.
- A good candidate for dental implants will also have adequate jaw bone density.The strength of the jaw bone will determine whether your implants will ultimately be successful over the years. The bone density helps to anchor your implants in place, increasing stability and permanency of the dental restoration. If you don’t have adequate bone density, your dentist can explore bone grafting to help you reach the standard before considering implant placement.
- The perfect dental implant candidate will have a true commitment to excellent dental health. The ideal candidate for implants will take care of their remaining natural teeth, quit using tobacco if they are a current user, and practice superb oral hygiene practices at home to maintain their newly restored teeth.
Who isn’t a good patient for dental implants?
There are many patients that may be good candidates for dental implants, but there are other patients who may benefit from a different dental restoration, including:
- Pregnant women
- Young children
- Radiation therapy patients
- Tobacco users that aren’t ready to quit
- Patients with immune diseases
- People who take immune-suppressing medication
While these patients aren’t necessarily ruled out from ever exploring implants with their implant dentist in Canton, they may be able to benefit more from a restoration that better fits their lifestyle. Simply ask your dentist for more information about restorative dental care to learn more!
About Our Office
Here at Legacy Dental Group, you should feel comfortable discussing the current state of your oral health. This helps us to determine which treatment or procedure is the best way to address your concerns in a way that fits your lifestyle and your budget. Call us today to schedule your consultation regarding Canton dental implants!