You are determined to make a change in your life. For so many years you’ve felt trapped behind your embarrassing smile, afraid to let your true contagious personality shine. But that ends now. You see straight teeth in your future, but you want to make sure that you make the right decision. Should you choose traditional or Invisalign of Canton to get the job done? Your dentist weighs in on the matter to help you take the best route.
How do Traditional Braces Work?
Traditional braces use wires attached to metal brackets on your teeth to adjust them until the desired alignment is achieved. They are permanently installed and can only be removed by your dentist at the end of the procedure. You will return every 4-6 weeks to have them adjusted.
Cleaning with teeth with braces requires careful brushing so you don’t break the wires. Also, flossing is not an option, so you will need to use a waterpik instead.
How Invisalign Works
Invisalign uses clear aligners (trays) to adjust your teeth instead of brackets. The process begins with you visiting your dentist for measurements, photographs and X-rays. Next, your custom Invisalign aligners will be fabricated. You will then return to get your complete set of aligners.
The Advantages of Invisalign
There are several advantages of Invisalign that make it the clear choice for fixing your smile.
- Comfort – Invisalign aligners are more comfortable than traditional braces, yet still encourage your teeth to move to the desired position.
- Convenience – You don’t have to return to your dentist for adjustments with Invisalign. You’ll be given all your trays at once, and you’ll change them every two weeks in the convenience of your home.
- Discreet Look – With traditional braces, the whole world knows that you’re wearing them. Invisalign, however, allows you to maintain your dignity, as the trays are clear.
- Maintenance – Your aligners must be removed before you eat or drink anything other than water. Although this is a requirement, it translates into an advantage as well, because by removing your Invisalign aligners, you are also able to clean them and your teeth thoroughly. This means that you can brush and floss at least twice a day, which is essential to your oral health.
- Time – A final great advantage of Invisalign is that it typically requires less time (12-18 months) than braces in Canton (at least 2 years).
Now that you have some comparisons, you can make the right decision. With your Invisalign clear aligners, you will be feeling like you’re on top of the world with the smile of your dreams in a relatively short time.
About the Author
Dr. Ben Bratcher graduated with honors from the University of Arkansas and earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery from Baylor College of Dentistry, finishing on the dean’s list. He has also received his Master in the Academy of General Dentistry. Dr. Bratcher practices at Legacy Dental Group and can be reached for more information through his website.